A mission statement for the project.
Arx Libertatis - To update and improve Arx Fatalis to bring it up to par with modern implementations of similar games.
Basic Project Goals
- Update the Arx Fatalis source code to support modern systems
- Improve portability of the game
- Provide ports and on-going support in source for modern systems
- Eliminate bugs or limitations of the original
- Improve basic functionality to bring the engine on-par with similar modern games
- Provide for further improvements and customizations to be made to the game by the community
Version 1.0: "Bloody Gobblers!"
- Core upgrades for compatibility with modern systems
- Direct support for Linux and Windows
Version 1.1: "Rhaa Movis"
- Continued bug fixes
The following are anticipated features but not yet fixed or fully decided upon.
Milestone 2: "?" idea: make it fast
- Hardware lighting
- Hardware transform
- Modern shader support
- Debugging tools (profiling hooks for cpu & memory usage, debug hud)
- Improved scripting (in-game console, launch script)
- Game editor with a modern implementation (using Qt)
- Support for more CPU architectures
Milestone 3: "?" idea: make it shiny
- General portability (potentially tablets and mobile devices)
- Improved graphics
- Improved audio
- Improved input support and configuration
- Texture processing (alpha smoothing, re-synthesis, interpolation)
- Modern user interface
Milestone 4: "?" idea: extend it
- Hardware physics support, modern physics library
- Previously missing features and assets
- Audio processing effects such as reverb
- Improved formats support (3d models, textures, audio, etc)
Milestone 5: "?" idea: make it reusable
- Support for community resources (3d models, textures, audio, scripts)
- Support for mods to currently static core features (spells, characters, physics, graphical effects)
- Support for completely new "story mods" with custom features, scripts and resources
- Replacement for scripting system
- Patching system for asset collections
While answering these and creating milestone wiki pages we're sure to come up with more.